Friday, September 22, 2006

Friday


So, it seems like all material objects in my life are breaking right now. My bike light has been on the fritz (and I never say "on the fritz" so it must be bad). It's fritzing like I can only imagine fritzing goes... Turning itself on an off when I haven't even touched it, blinking by itself, etc. etc. The wireless internet in my house stopped working. I had a flat the other day, after trying to inflate it with a bad bike pump. Irony, anyone? And today, mid bike ride, my zen micro earplugs started zoning in and out, probably from a loose wire. It was actually pretty terrifying, trying to ride home in the dark with no bike light (remember, it was fritzing at home), feeling every bump and dip in the road for the possibility of another flat, and listening to MUsic thAt sOuNDEd LiKE thIS..

I guess I had a bad Thursday too... I have to say, I hate English Club. Absolutely dread it every week. Being the new English teacher, I, by default, have to conduct English Club on Thursday afternoons. Basically, the only reason anyone is in the club is because it only meets once a week, and the only penalty you get for not attending is a scolding. A better, more experienced teacher could probably feel out the situation and come up with another activity on the spot if the one they planned bombs terribly. Ha, no such luck for me though. On my way out of the building, thoroughly defeated by Thursdsay, I also knocked my bike over and the bike next to it, in front of a group of my students. Sigh.

But finally, it's Friday, blessed Friday. Somehow, four day weeks always feel longer than normal weeks. But for my last class of the day, all we did was watch a movie. And during the afternoon, I took a breather out in the sunshine, watched the tiny lobsters in the gutter along the sidewalk, and found one of the mangy cats that live on campus. : )

And tomorrow, it's off to Tokyo I go for Tokyo Game Show! Oh, nerdiness galore. For those of you not in the know, TGS is THE videogame showcase in Japan, due in part because they open the doors to the public for the last two days. This year also happens to be its 10th anniversary. It's probably even the biggest game showcase of them all, now that E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) in LA is being downsized, and sure to be my first real geekfest since being in Japan (I haven't even been to Akihabara). I shall report my experience of the pasty, acne-prone underbelly of Japan's biggest gaming showcase when I return!

No comments: