Wednesday, November 08, 2006


I can see Fuji from my house! Yesterday, after a typhoon-like morning and sunny but incredibly blustery afternoon, the mountain unveiled itself. Covered in snow, and larger than I expected, it is truly breathtaking. Majestic. Stunning. I can't adequately describe it. Riding home from school yesterday, I was pedalling behind some little kids who were yammering away "Ii, ne! Ii, ne!" and when I rounded the corner, the view literally took my breath away. It was like the first snow, I was so excited! It made me feel so lucky to be in Japan and living so close to a postcard-like view of one of the most beautiful icons of the country. You really have to see it for yourself.


This has been a good week. It started off with going to Tokyo on Sat-Sun for Tokyo Design Week. I met up with Jimi and Melissa and Aya, all from CMU School of Design. It made me so happy to see them, and I can honestly say it was one of the most fun times I've had in Japan. After so many months of feeling very different from the people around me, I finally felt like I was in my own skin again. It was very comforting to be in good company even on the other side of the globe, but it made me miss Pittsburgh [and the old days] a lot. So much so that I'm seriously considering going back for winter break. I don't know though.. Should I do it? Anyway, Design Week was good, and a welcome dose of inspiration. Saw some great things at Design Tide, and even explored a new neighborhood of Tokyo that is what I imagine Harajuku was once like. I came home very happy and filled with good thoughts, albeit a little lonesome.

On Monday, just as I was about to leave school, Mimi-chan (girl who works in the office) came to my desk with a big bouquet of flowers. Mike had sent them for our one year anniversary. What a surprise! I was blushing like mad, and the teachers around my desk were like "Wooh! Lomantiku!"

Last night I finally booked a ryokan in Kyoto. Hooray! It's so busy this time of year that I was stressed that we wouldn't be able to find a place to stay. This place isn't luxurious by any means, but I think it'll be an authentic Japanese experience nonetheless. So weekend after next, my two friends and I will be on our way to beautiful Kyoto!


Today, the first year students visited the local kindergarten and played with the little kids in the morning. I tagged along, obviously. Each student was oniisan or oneesan (big brother, big sister) for a little kid. It was funny to see my students, who I usually have to treat like children, be the "grown-ups" for a little while. My god. I want to steal a Japanese three-year-old, bless their round-cheeked, yellow-capped, adorable little hearts. It was a little sad though, that I couldn't communicate with any of them.

And let's now forget, perhaps one of the most important things that happened this week, besides elections back at home. Finally!

No comments: